At most bars — and parties, for that matter — St. Patrick’s Day means green beer. And while chugging hops with a side of food coloring is fine and all, 2021 is the year to break tradition. It’s time to make something that’s a pot of gold in its own right: Instagram gold, because everyone will be busting out their phones to post a pic of these gorgeous Pot of Gold Shots.
They require a little more effort than tinting a pilsner or pale ale a lovely shade of shamrock, but it’s absolutely worth it. Use pineapple or lemon Jell-O for a golden yellow hue, or for more of an old fashioned vibe, go for orange — it’ll be sweeter than the classic cocktail, for sure, but a stellar pairing nonetheless.
If Jameson’s not your thing, you can easily substitute whatever liquor you’re into. If you want to make a nonalcoholic batch, skip it entirely, and use a 1/2 cup of cold water in its place.
A dollop of Cool Whip makes for perfectly fluffy clouds, and whatever you do, make sure you hit up the candy aisle for a batch of sour rainbow belts — they’re a must for completing the look.
Pot of Gold Shots
- 1 Pkg lemon or pineapple Jell-O 3 oz
- 1/2 Cup Whiskey
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Cool Whip
- Gold Sprinkles
- 6 Rainbow Candy Belts cut in half
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add Jell-O mix and stir until dissolved. Turn off heat and stir in 1/2 cup or water and the whiskey. Place 16 plastic shot glasses on a baking sheet and pour in mixture until each is two-thirds full.
- Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Top each with a dollop of Cool Whip and gold sprinkles. Place a rainbow candy belt on top, forming it into a semicircle like a rainbow, before serving.